27 April 2009

Microsoft IE8 Run on May 31

Finally! A new race to look forward to.

The original race date (as seen above) was May 24, 2009 but since there were already 4 races lined up that same day, Microsoft decided to move theirs to May 31.

Which is perfect, so that runners don’t have to go crazy deciding which race to join. =)

The Microsoft IE8 run marks the launch of the new Internet Explorer 8 and is held for the benefit of UNICEF’s child protection program on online child safety (Yay!! More funds for children!). The intriguing thing about this run is that the race distances are in miles: 8 miles (12.8km), 4 miles (6.4km) and 2 miles (3.2km).

Technically I’ve done a training run of 12.8km already, but I don’t think I’m ready to join this race category. Will do a 4-miler instead.

To check how I’d fare in a 6.4km race, I ran this distance yesterday evening at Legaspi Park at 11:20 pm. Because it was late, I had the whole park to myself. There’s nothing so peaceful as running inside a park, having some “alone” quality time. My only companion at that time was a park security guard who probably thought I was such a weirdo for running at a late hour.

Achieved 6.4km in 41:04 minutes (6:25 min/km pacing) which is regular but could be better (I was aiming for 39 minutes). Will see in this Tuesday’s run how I’d fare.

***

Microsoft has some really good policies/whitepapers on computer privacy and online safety for children. With so many kids on the net these days, it’s important for parents/guardians to know what kind of risks children may encounter online and protect them from inappropriate content, malicious software, potential “child predators”, and even fraud.

To read more about Microsoft’s efforts in the areas of computer security, privacy and online safety, click here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment