07 December 2011

Joseph Campbell's The Mythic Dimension

A year has passed, and I've managed to read more than a dozen books since my last blog entry in November 2010. (Note to self: Reading only a dozen or so books in a year is a hideous all-time low record.  Must improve in 2012!)

So.

Here's what I'm plowing through right now.  Not the most accessible sort of reading out there, but Joseph Campbell will always be a favorite of mine. The Mythic Dimension is a collection of Campbell's essays on myth (as always!) and serves as a precursor to the heftier yet more elegantly-written four-volume The Masks of God. So if you're a fan of the latter, then reading Mythic Dimension is like going through Campbell's early musings.


The cover of the book is a detail taken from Sandro Botticelli's The Birth of Venus, which is an amazing 15th century painting housed in the Uffizi Gallery in Florence.  I feel lucky to have seen this painting up close when I visited the Gallery back in March 2010.

Side note: I've just downloaded a copy of Werner Herzog's documentary 'Cave of Forgotten Dreams', which I think will be perfect complementary viewing while I read Mythic Dimension at this point.  Was reading Campbell's Primitive Mythology (volume one of The Masks of God) around 5 or 6 years back and I remember thinking to myself at that time how good it would be to see those Chauvet caves--which contain the oldest known cave art--in a NatGeo documentary or something. Hooray for wishes that come true eventually.


4 comments:

  1. Glad you're reading and blogging again Gina! Have you read the Greek Myths by Robert Graves? A famous British war poet who also translated The Iliad and might have murdered his lover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take your nose off those books and show your carnal self to me soon! I miss you Jeans!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the reco, Andy! I'm familiar with Robert Graves, but I haven't come across 'Greek Myths.

    ReplyDelete
  4. RUN-dy! I can be bookish and carnal at the same time, hahaha! I miss you. Kita naman tayo this Christmas time, please. :)

    ReplyDelete